My poor, sweet Princess.

This week I've gotten a taste of what it will be like to have a sick and hurting baby/kid.  In a word: HEARTBREAKING.  It's also panic-inducing.  My sweet princess, Fiona, has been sick.   To make a very long story short, the vet thinks Fiona was bitten by a snake on her cheek.  WHAT?!?!  When, how?  We'll never know.  The treatment prescribed on Monday was stopped, and a new, more aggressive approach was taken today.  We hope to wake-up tomorrow morning to a Fiona that's beginning to feel better. 

The past three days have been awful.  Some of you may be thinking, "It's just a dog, Betsy!."  Our pets are our kids.  And look at that face.  Now imagine her eyes swollen, red, pussing, and bleeding.  No way you're thinking, "It's just a dog," now.  That's my BABY.

Fiona's wind-blown look in the backseat.

If watching my dog be sick and in pain has been THIS hard, I can't even imagine what it will be like to have a sick human baby (we affectionately refer to our pets as our "babies").   Something about this seems much harder because she so small.  Real babies are small.  She's also cute as a button usually, and a total charmer.  Obviously we won't know for a couple months (yes, I said a COUPLE months. Not a few, not several, a COUPLE), but I like to think L Bean will be cute as a button and adept at laying-down the charm.  

Josh said to me this morning (via text after I had burst into tears), "Be strong for our baby."  But it's HARD.  I'm totally going to be the mom that cries when my baby gets shots.  Maybe he'll be a total champ and not even flinch.  I still think think I'll cry.  And that first fever?  Oh man.  We'll cross that bridge when it gets here.

Keep Fiona in your prayers.  I'm ready to get my sweet girl back.

0 comments:

Post a Comment