Wait, It's 2011?!?!

Wasn't the world supposed to end 11 years ago?  Boy am I glad it didn't.

There are a lot of New Years resolution posts circulating the blog world.  In the past, I've never been much of a resolution person. When I was in high school I'd make a resolution (or ten) for something impossibly attainable for no reason other than to make a resolution because everyone else was.  It's been years since I've made one. 

There's something about being a mom that changes you.  Not in a "I gave birth to a baby, and my new name is Mom" kind of a way.  We're talking alters you to the core kind of a change.  I want to BE better.  I want to LIVE better.  I have a big reason to do everything better.  Well, two.  Which added together equal one family. 

In the spirit of being better, I've (we've) decided to make a few resolutions this year.  And I use "resolutions" loosely.  These are more like goals.  I won't hate myself if I haven't achieved them in 365.  These are aspirations of being BETTER. For him, him, and Him.  Oh, and for me.

Family goal:

No fast food for a year.  We eat fast food about once a month, so this shouldn't be too hard.  The point of this for us is to make ourselves choose healthy, more real options, even when we're in a hurry.  I want fast food to be a MAJOR treat for Liam, not something we grab every Saturday when we're out running errands.

Personal goals:

Make taking care of myself a priority.  I haven't been exercising.  I have been eating all that well.  I haven't been taking time to just see and be, read a book, just tune out.  I haven't gone shopping for clothes that fit me and make me feel good. As much as I want to spend every waking second in my son's presence, I HAVE to do things for myself.  For both of our sakes.  Also, I miss running.  But I miss RUNNING.  Not this Couch to 5K crap I have to do right now.  But to get back to the running I love, I have to get through the first weeks of getting back into shape.  I also need to get a REALLY good sports bra.  I'm thinking the Ta Ta Tamer

Take more pictures of our life and make sure that I'm in them.  I'm one of those people who loves to take pictures when we're home, but I forget to take pictures when we're with family or out doing something fun.  Since I'm always taking pictures, I'm rarely in them.  I don't want to look-back in 18 years and realize that I was in five pictures a year.

Find a church home.  We want to find our "fit." Somewhere look forward to going every weekend.  Part of this goal is to also get in the church habit.  I want my son to grow-up going to church, participating in Sunday school, and kids choir.  Those are some of my fondest memories from my childhood. 

Make new friends.  Making new friends is hard for me.  I'm a naturally shy person.  But we don't know many people with kids, and we want play dates and sleep overs (not for us, Silly, for Liam). 

Blog more.  I miss my blog.  Just saying that makes me feel sad.  It has been a source of such joy for me since it's inception  (good movie, by the way).  But it's hard to make time for it when you have a household to run, a family to feed, a job, and two great guys to spend time with.  This goal will be hardest over the next three and a half months (during busy season), but hopefully I can do it.  Even if I just do a picture dump.  Or bullet points about our week.

Husband's goal:

Take more pictures.  For Husband, life gets in the way of taking pictures every day.  It's his passion, so this year he decided to make it a priority. 

Do you think the Big Guy would be willing to add a few extra hours to every day?  I'll let you know what he says.

0 comments:

Post a Comment